What is the Phyco-Flow?
A highly efficient and reliable method for producing high density monocultures of marine and freshwater algae.
Why choose a Phyco-Flow?
- Typically operates at densities of 5 to 10 times that of conventional culture methods.
- Highly productive relative to conventional production methods.
- Dramatically reduces labour requirements and eliminates handling problems.
- Can be operated for prolonged periods without cultures crashing
- Utilises the patented tube self cleaning mechanism
- It is a closed controlled system,environmental parameters are automatically controlled.
- System is easily expanded to meet increased production requirements.
The main species grown are Nanno, tetra, chlorella, scenedesmus, chaetoceros, Isochrysis, neochlorus, pavlolva, haema, and benthic diatoms.
The Phyco Pyxis is a closed, fixed volume photo bioreactor and is available in a range of incremental sizes from 1000 litres up to 4000 litres. Fabrication is in GRP with top overflow for harvesting and valved bottom outlet for draining down.The top of the PBR is removable for maintenance and cleaning purposes.
Internally illuminated photo bioreactor, utilising LED lights as the primary light source, optimised to provide the maximum level of PAR thereby mitigating the issues related with conventional light sources such as waste heat and waste energy.
Mixing is via aspirated air coupled with controlled CO2 injection via pH control. The location of the aspirator ensures gentle homogenous mixing of the process. The advantage of using a combined AIR/CO2 aspirated supply is two-fold.
- Air contains around 78% Nitrogen which helps displace the oxygen produced via photosynthesis.
- The high level of growth achieved in the Phyco-Pyxis cannot be achieved via the aspiration of air alone; therefore CO2 injection is managed via pH control to boost the availability of dissolved inorganic carbon.
Influent liquid process is controlled via an asymmetrical recycling timer and a variable area flow meter. These parameters are pre-set to maximise system productivity either in terms of optical density or volumetric harvest rate.
Disinfection of influent process liquid is via Varicon Aqua standard in-line chemical disinfection process or UV. The systems can be coupled to any other external disinfection system of choice. The basic in line chemical disinfection system can be utilised as a common system for disinfection of influent process water to multiple systems. 1 system has a capacity of 2500-3000L per hour.
Nutrient is controlled via proportional in line dispensers. Again these dispensers can manage a flow in the range of 10L – 3000L/hour.
As with all primary production systems of biological organisms it is essential to ensure the production environment is fit for purpose and that all primary inputs meet the required standards of the organisms under production. Factors such as max-min temperature and water quality are essential elements.
Our Phyco-Bubble columns bring a fully controllable laboratory scale reactor system to the marketplace. The columns are available in a range of incremental sizes from 3 – 25 L, and can be illuminated with LED or Gro-Lux back lighting that can be tailored to specific photosynthetic requirements. The systems are mixed by aeration which significantly reduces mechanical shear, and display excellent levels of turbulence and mass transfer. Standard fabrication is in Schott borosilicate glass, with manifolds and connectors made from PVC or aluminium. A variety of ports for inlet/outlet and sensor functions can be added dependent on requirements.
Please contact us for more information and pricing.