Reduces stress during, broodstock handling, vaccination, stripping, harvest and transport.
AQUI-S is an aquatic anaesthetic that has been developed to give flexibility and control in animal husbandry, transporting and harvesting operations.
- Fish that are harvested using AQUI-S have improved flesh quality, yield and shelf life.
- The use of AQUI-S during the transportation of live fish and during health management practices lowers stress and reduces mortalities.
AQUI-S® is mixed directly with water to form a stock solution which is then dispersed in the water column. Most applications require a concentration of between 15 and 20 mg/L in an immersion bath to achieve anaesthetisation. Lower doses are used for light sedation. Higher doses can be used to achieve rapid response. Response to the anaesthetic depends on the species, the age, level of fatigue and condition of the animals and environmental factors.
Well rested mature salmon (Salmo salar and Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) can take between 5 and 8 minutes of exposure at 17 mg/L of AQUI-S® before showing signs of loss of equilibrium, and most husbandry practices can be carried out after 12 to 15 minutes exposure. However much shorter response times of approximately 2 to 5 minutes to produce handleable fish can be obtained by working with higher concentrations. Fish that are not rested often have a faster response to the anaesthetic.
Advantages of AQUI-S®
- AQUI-S® is approved in Australia, Chile, New Zealand, Korea, Costa Rica and Honduras with a zero withholding period. It is the only aquatic anaesthetic that can be used for harvesting fish in those countries.
- Fish have a fast recovery from AQUI-S®.
- AQUI-S® is effective at low concentrations of 10 to 20 mg/L corresponding to active ingredient concentrations of 5 to 10 mg/L. Most other anaesthetics require at least three times and up to twenty times this concentration of active ingredient to be effective.
- Sedative effects and changes to behaviour can be detected at lower concentrations.
- AQUI-S® has a wide margin of safety when used at low concentrations. This means that fish can remain in the treatment water for relatively long periods of time without fear of mortalities.
- AQUI-S® can be diluted directly in water (seawater or freshwater). It does not require the use of hazardous solvents.
- AQUI-S® is cost effective to use for harvesting. Typical application costs for farmed salmon are 1 to 2 cents/kg fish harvested.
- AQUI-S® is gentle and humane in action. Fish do not usually show any adverse response to the presence of AQUI-S® at 20 mg/L and therefore they do not demonstrate struggling or avoidance reaction as with some other anaesthetics.
Enhancing the quality and value of fish produced in the aquaculture and fishing industries with humane and cost-effective products and services that provide you with a high return on your investment.
AQUI-S® is a versatile aquatic anaesthetic that has been developed to give flexibility and control in animal husbandry, transportation and harvesting operations. The ingredients are approved for use in foods and AQUI-S® is safe for use in food fish. Fish that are harvested using AQUI-S® have improved flesh quality, greater yield and longer shelf lives. The use of AQUI-S® during the transportation of live fish and during health management practices lowers stress and reduces mortalities.
ANIMAL WELFARE & AQUI-S®
Consideration of animal welfare is a fundamental and growing requirement in aquaculture. There are many unavoidable activities which can cause extensive stress to aquatic animals, including disease treatment, transport, handling, broodstock stripping, grading and slaughter. AQUI-S® reduces stress during these operations, providing you with strong healthy animals that command a high price at market. Explore our WELFARE section to learn about welfare and how AQUI-S® can help reduce stress and improve quality in your operations.